- The literature on educational leadership highlights the role of the principal as an individual whose actions can exert a strong influence on student outcomes. Tweet
- African American male principals are keenly aware of systemic perceptions and myths regarding their own practices and motivation that influence urban educational environments. Tweet
- Findings related to the practices of African American male urban school leaders emphasized strength, paternalism, and consistency/fairness as important contributors to the success of the urban educational environment. Tweet
- Data from the participants reflected leadership orientations that call for broader, more holistic approaches. Tweet
- This studyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s implications highlight three areas of consideration: (a) social and systemic issues appear to severely distract African American male urban school leaders from their educational focus; (b) attention needs to be given to the critical dual role of African American male principals, who must both manage schools and serve as role models for African American youth; and (c) focus needs to be directed toward developing and then hiring more African American male principals. Tweet
Special Collections are curated collections of research that addresses a specific topic or research question.
Knowledge Centers are a custom service of IssueLab providing organizations with a simple way to manage and share knowledge on their own websites.