- Observation: A majority of K-5 (76%) and K-8 (81%) students received the initial benchmark of once weekly, year-long arts instruction, whereas this was true for only 48% of students in middle schools serving Grades 6-8. Tweet
- Observation: Only 5% of all Boston Public School (BPS) elementary students and 6% of all middle school students receive the "best practice" benchmark of twice weekly, year-long arts instruction. Tweet
- Observation: Schools identified the top barriers to increasing arts education as: 1) limitations to the school budget (91%); 2) lack of public or private external funding (60%); and 3) lack of time in the school day (46%). Tweet
- Observation: While staffing levels are similar, comparable district arts offices in Seattle and Memphis have budgets that are roughly four times that of Boston. Tweet
- Observation: Recommendations include: 1) expanding equity and access with a three-year goal of getting 100% of all students, through Grade 8, to the initial benchmark of once weekly, year-long arts instruction by 2012; 2) building district capacity; 3) launching the BPS Arts Expansion Fund to raise $1.5 million over three years in additional private philanthropic funding; and 4) convening a new BPS Arts Advisory Board to oversee arts expansion efforts. Tweet
Special Collections are curated collections of research that addresses a specific topic or research question.
Knowledge Centers are a custom service of IssueLab providing organizations with a simple way to manage and share knowledge on their own websites.