Discusses the need to invest in high-quality teachers and principals and the best opportunities for donors to help improve human capital. Profiles current initiatives, proposes strategic priorities, and lists promising ideas requiring financial support.
- Observation: Attract new talent to education by building a talent pipeline and working to attract high-caliber candidates to teaching.
- Observation: Reform teacher and principal training through new initiatives to undergrad, graduate, and continuing education programs.
- Observation: Distribute educators where they are most needed, in schools and subject areas where improvements are needed like math and science.
- Observation: Restructure incentives to reward excellence, linking pay to performance.
- Observation: Invest in research and advocacy of the elements of successful teachers and principals.
- Observation: Public policy changes are necessary for most reforms to take hold.