In this report, we describe the seven strategies by which the MacArthur Foundation sought ambitious changes in the preservation of affordable rental housing. In brief, these strategies were to
* support a cadre of large nonprofit owners of affordable rental housing to both preserve rental housing and act as spokespersons for preservation
* increase capital for preservation by investing in special-purpose vehicles, such as preservation-themed loan funds
* invest in regional interagency partnerships to retain affordable rental housing
* develop business practices, tools, and research for or about preservation
* provide loans and grants directly to state and local government agencies that themselves fund preservation transactions
* promote low-income tenants' rights to remain in and advocate for affordable rental housing
* improve the funding, regulatory, and legislative context for preservation through the foundation's combined investments in nonprofit owners, networks of nonprofit owners, special-purpose vehicles, state and local government agencies, and advocates.