This report describes the current market landscape for physician services in California. Key findings include:
- Physician supply varied by region.
- The total number of physicians in California did not accurately reflect their availability to provide care.
- Slightly more than 30% of California physicians were over the age of 60.
- Latinos were underrepresented among physicians.
- More than three-quarters of California physicians attended medical school in other states or in foreign countries.
- Physicians were less likely to serve Medi-Cal, Medicare, and uninsured patients in their practices than privately insured patients.