Identifies five major changes that can help transform the focus of school district central offices from administration and compliance to improving classroom instruction, including strong engagement with principals and reorganizing and "reculturing."
- Observation: Creating direct, personal relationships between central office leaders and school principals is essential to helping principals become stronger leaders.
- Observation: Central offices as a whole must support the partnerships formed between their leaders and school principals.
- Observation: Other central office staff must shift their work to support teaching and learning improvement, including taking case management and project management approaches.
- Observation: Stewardship, or leadership to support the overall transformation process, is also essential to ensuring success.
- Observation: Creating a dynamic system for decision-making based on evidence is vital for continued transformation.