Chapter 10.5 presents data on the number of food programs that supply services in addition to food distribution, such as nutrition counseling, legal services or short-term financial assistance.
- 22.2% of the pantries, 13.8% of the kitchens, and 40.7% of the shelters provide eligibility counseling for SNAP benefit.
- 40.6% of the shelters provide employment training.
- 37.4% of pantry programs, 39.1% of kitchen programs, and 27.3% of shelter programs offer two to five additional services or facilities.
- As many as 5.4% of agencies also operate health clinics.
- 12.5% of agencies run youth after-school programs.
(Excerpted from Hunger in America 2010.)