Chapter 12.1 summarizes responses from Feeding America network agencies that were asked whether their food programs are stable or facing problems that threaten their food programs' continued operation and, if so, which of several listed factors are the causes of the threat.
- 66.6% of the pantries, 67.3% of the kitchens, and 73.0% of the shelters believe they are facing one or more problems that threaten their continued operation.
- 48.3% of pantries, 55.5% of kitchens, and 67.0% of shelters referred to funding issues as a threat.
- 42.1% of the pantries, 32.3% of kitchens, and 17.9% of shelters indicated food supplies as a threat to their continued operation.
- 15.8% of kitchens and 21.4% of shelters identified issues related to paid staff or personnel as a threat.
- 14.8% of pantries and 15.8% of kitchens indicated that volunteer-related problems posed a threat.
(Excerpts from Hunger in America 2010.)