Chapter 5.8 examines patterns of income receipt, for both monthly and annual income of Feeding America clients including:
- Total household income for the previous month;
- Sources of household income for the previous month;
- Annual household income for 2008;
- Correlations between education level and income and;
- Correlations between the presence of elderly or children in the household and income in 2008.
- 13.3% of all client households had no income at all for the month prior to the interview.
- 62.0% of all client households had monthly household income less than $1,000.
- Overall, 31.5% of the clients indicated that a job was the main source of income for their households for the previous month.
- For 44.3% of all clients, other government assistance such as Social Security, Unemployment Compensation, Disability (SSDI)/Worker's Compensation, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) was the main source of household income.
- In 2008, 49.4% of all clients had household income of less than $10,000.
- Over 1.7 million Feeding America client households receive TANF or GA.
(Excerpted from Hunger in America 2010.)