Chapter 5.9 describes the housing status and housing resources of client households, including:
- Housing status by program type and income level;
- Whether clients own or rent and;
- The kinds of household resources to which clients have access.
- Over 1.4 million FA clients do not have a permanent place to live.
- In 2008, among the clients who had a place to live, 83.8% had income less than or equal to 130% of the federal poverty level, while 16.2% had income above 130% of the federal poverty level.
- Overall, 59.8% of the clients have access to a working car. The percentages of pantry, kitchen, and shelter clients who have such access are 66.2%, 37.0%, and 22.7%, respectively.
(Excerpted from Hunger in America 2010)