The executive summary of From Options to Action
summarizes the six practical steps outlined in the full report for achieving a more coordinated, comprehensive approach to reentry at the city level:
- Getting the Lay of the Land details the planning phases of citywide reentry initiatives, from identifying stakeholders to using data to understand how to invest resources.
- Assembling a Task Force suggests essential elements for ensuring the effectiveness of a citywide task force, including establishing a clear set of goals, timeline and measures of success.
- Making Collaboration Work explores strategies for coordinating among city agencies; county, state and government; and community- and faith-based organizations.
- Addressing City-Level Barriers to Employment encourages city leaders to take a comprehensive inventory of legal barriers to employment and ensure their own hiring practices do not discriminate unfairly against those with a criminal record.
- Engaging the Business Community addresses strategies for working closely with the private sector to create employment opportunities for formerly incarcerated people.
- Taking It to the Next Level suggests state and federal policy changes that city leaders may seek to influence.