This paper provides a fresh, solutions focused framework to help funders address the pressing issue of nonprofit leadership development in ways that are flexible and appropriate across the diversity of the foundation field. It is part of the Generating Change Nonprofit Talent and Leadership Development Toolkit avavailable at http://www.epip.org/genchange
- Recruitment activities build awareness of work opportunities in the sector, then cultivate and enlist new talent.
- Retention efforts help retain emerging and established professionals and volunteers.
- Development is important with regard to ongoing organizational and sector-wide strategies to nurture the skills, knowledge, competencies and agency of nonprofit talent.
- Realignment activities involve restructuring nonprofits toward new work practices and leadership models.
- Renewal is important with regard to reinvigorating leaders to avoid burnout and ensure sustainable, meaningful careers and contributions to the filed.
- Succession and transition efforts will create viable, supportive pathways for executives and board members who are phasing out of full-time roles, and for non-profits to identify new leaders and prepare internally.