This research was designed to provide some context for CAF's Growing Giving campaign. The campaign aims to close the "generation gap" in charitable giving and promote active engagement of charities with all age groups. The campaign also wants to encourage younger generations to give more time and money to charity and ensure that people keep on giving throughout their lives. The primary aim of this research was to understand how young people think about charities and charitable giving.
- Young people have great charitable expectations and give a considerable amount annually, over one-hundred million pounds (equivalent to 154.8 million U.S. dollars as of August 2015).
- A third of young people give to charity in a typical month.
- However, young people are not talking to each other about charity.
- Even from a young age, girls are more drawn towards the charity sector than boys.
- Schools lie at the heart of the bond between young people and charities.