Calls for policies to raise college completion rates and the portions of high school graduates eligible for state schools and of transfer students receiving bachelor's degrees. Explores issues of equity, funding, college-readiness, and remedial programs.
- Observation: The state should add ways to measure progress toward meeting its education goals, such as college enrollment rates, transfer rates, and completion rates.
- Observation: Increasing eligibility for UC to the top 15 percent of high school graduates and CSU to the top 40 percent will vastly expand racial, economic, and social diversity at these schools.
- Observation: A new component of higher education policy focusing on completion rates should be added to the Master Plan.
- Observation: A higher target should be defined for bachelor's degrees earned by transfer students to UC and CSU.
- Observation: The state must identify ways to fund these changes to the Master Plan.