Analyzes findings from a survey of teachers on challenges and solutions for higher achievement, including clear common standards, multiple measures of student performance, innovation, accurate measures of teacher performance, and bridging school and home.
- Observation: A supportive leader is more important than higher salaries for retaining good teachers
- Observation: Teachers are not opposed to standardized tests as a measurement of student performance but also value other measures
- Observation: Tenure is a poor indicator of a teacher's ability
- Observation: Up-to-date information-based technology is more important than textbooks for improving academic achievement
- Observation: A strong home-school connection is essential to build a sustainable culture of achievement in schools