In 2009, the New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault, in conjunction with community stakeholders, conducted action-research on sexual violence prevention in three communities. In the South Bronx, a community coalition comprised of local service providers, rape crisis advocates, community members and activists, is using the data to develop effective solutions for preventing sexual violence in their community. Research questions:
- Is sexual violence a problem in the community?
- What are the most common forms of sexual violence in the community?
- What are the root causes of sexual violence?
- How can we prevent sexual violence in the community?
- What are the characteristics of the community that can support sexual violence prevention?