In 2009, the New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault, in conjunction with community stakeholders, conducted action-research on sexual violence prevention in three communities. In Williamsburg, Brooklyn, a community coalition comprised of local service providers, rape crisis advocates, parents, educators and activists, is using the data to develop effective solutions for preventing sexual violence in their community.
- Is sexual violence a problem in the community?
- What are the most common forms of sexual violence in the community?
- What are the root causes of sexual violence?
- How can we prevent sexual violence in the community?
- What are the characteristics of the community that can support sexual violence prevention?