Outlines approaches to turning around low-performing schools, lessons from early efforts, gaps to be filled, and critical actions to implement effective practices, create supportive policies and conditions, and build capacity and sustainability at scale.
- Observation: Identifying clear interim and long-term success metrics for measuring turnaround at the school, district, and state levels is vital to running a successful program
- Observation: Understanding the four turnaround models and determining the best fit for your school or district based on needs and available resources is critical
- Observation: Early school-level lessons learned include the need for proper planning, management of human capital, and capacity building for sustainable results
- Observation: Significant gaps must be filled to ensure turnarounds can succeed at scale, including gaps in capacity, funding, public and political will, and research and knowledge sharing
- Observation: There must be collaboration across all levels of the education sector to scale early efforts, build capacity, and address gaps