At the beginning of every year, the vast majority of American households turn their attention to the ritual of filing their federal and state income tax returns. Some see it as a civic duty, others as a burdensome chore. But for tens of millions of low- and moderate-income families and individuals, tax time represents a springboard to economic opportunity and financial security.
- Every year, the VITA program helps millions of low- and moderate-income Americans file their taxes for free.
- The VITA program is driven by thousands of community organizations nationwide, which leverage a modest federal grant matched with significant local investment.
- VITA tax preparation has the highest accuracy rate of any tax preparation service, and VITA has increased the number of returns filed every year since the program was authorized.
- There is an overwhelming demand for VITA services, but VITA sites need more flexibility to innovate and respond to local community needs.
- Congress, the Administration and states should expand VITA and make key reforms to spur local innovation.