This report provides a broad index measure of small local business activity for the forty largest metropolitan areas of the United States. Key findings include:
- Small business activity is on the rise 38 of the top 40 largest metropolitan areas.
- The top five metropolitan areas for small business activity as measured by the Index were New York, Boston, Providence, San Francisco and Portland.
Insights on business owners demographics:
- Metro areas with the highest rates of female business owners were Portland, Ore.; San Francisco; Nashville, Tenn.; Austin, Texas; and Miami.
- Metro areas with the highest rates of older adult business owners (ages 55-64) were Portland, Ore.; Austin; San Diego; Los Angeles; and Miami.
- Metro areas with the highest rates of young adult business owners (ages 20-34) were Miami; Nashville; Austin; Jacksonville; and Portland, Ore.