Chapter 7 examines participation by Feeding America clients in government nutrition programs. Levels of participation and reasons for nonparticipation are both examined. This chapter also presents data on where clients do most of their grocery shopping.
- Overall, 71.5% of the clients have ever applied for, and 41.0% are currently receiving, SNAP benefits.
- For 80.2% of the clients who are receiving SNAP benefits, the benefits last for three weeks or less. For 50.6%, they last for two weeks or less.
- About 6 million FA households participate in SNAP.
- Overall, 40.9% of the clients who had not applied for SNAP benefits believed they were either ineligible or eligible for only a low benefit.
- Among all client households, 27.0% participate in Government Mass Distribution programs or TEFAP.
(Excerpted from Hunger in America 2010.)